The english we speak(BBC教学) 第4期:Other half我的那位
Li:Hi Neil, how are you?
Li:你好尼尔,最近怎么样?
Neil:I'm fine thanks, how are you Li?I'm good.Neil:谢谢我很好。小李你怎么样?我很好。
Li:Are you free on Saturday evening?
Li:你周六晚上有空吗?
I'm holding a small dinner rday?我要举办一个小型的晚餐派对。周六吗?
Neil:Yeah, that would be fantastic but I'd better just check with my other half.Neil:那好极了但是我最好和我的那位确认一下。
Li:Your other half?Li:你的那位?
Li:What do you mean?Li:什么意思?
Neil:Yes I'm not sure if my wife has anything planned for Saturday.Neil:是的,我不确定我妻子周六是否有安排。
Li:Oh!I did not know you call your wife your other half.Li:哦,我之前不知道你称你的妻子为你的那位。
That's interesting.真有意思。
Neil:Yes.Neil:是啊。
Neil:That's a phrase often used by married couples to refer to each other.Neil:这是夫妻之间互相用来称呼对方的短语。
Li:That's useful to know.Li:长知识了。
Let's hear some examples:我们来听一些例子吧:
A:How's your other half?你的那位怎么样?
Is she feeling better?她好些了吗?
B:Yes, she is much better, thanks.是的,她好多了。谢谢。
Lady:I like the colour of the car but I should ask my other half before I buy it.我喜欢这车的颜色但是我买之前应该问一下我的那位。
A:Fancy another pint, John?再来一品脱吗,约翰?
B:I'd love another pint but I have promised my other half I'll be home early.我也想但是我已经答应了我的那位我会早点回家。
Neil:So, people often refer to their partner as their other half.Neil:所以人们经常用“他们的那位”来称呼他们的伴侣。
Li:Can this phrase be used to refer to both a husband and a wife?这个短语即可以用来称呼丈夫也可以用来称呼妻子吗?
Neil:Yes, that's correct.Neil:对。
Neil:And sometimes a man will refer to his wife as his better half.Neil:有时一个男人也会称他的妻子为“更好的那位”。
Li:Better half?Li:更好的那位?
Of course the woman is always the better half!当然了,妻子总是更好的那位!
would not you agree?难道不同意吗?
Neil:Of course!Neil:当然!
My wife always reminds me that she's my better half!我的妻子老是提醒我她是我的更好的那位!
Li:Let's listen to a couple of examples:我们再来听两个例子吧:
A:Oh what a lovely room, you've made a great job of this.欧,多么可爱的房间!你一定花了很多功夫。
B:Thanks, but compliments should really go to my better half, she chose all the colours and the furniture.谢谢,但是应该表扬的是我的妻子,是她选了所有的颜色和家具。
A:Thanks for dinner last night.谢谢昨晚的晚餐。
The food was fantastic!食物太棒了!
B:You're welcome.I'm glad you enjoyed it.不用谢,我很高兴你喜欢。
It was a fun evening.真是个愉快的夜晚。
I'm really lucky, my better half is a great cook, I just have to do all the washing up.我真的很幸运,我的妻子厨艺超赞,我只是负责洗碗。
Li:I'm sure your wife thinks you are the better half although she may not say it.Li:我敢肯定你妻子肯定觉得你也是更好的那位尽管她可能不会说出来。
Neil:I hope so.Neil:我希望如此。
Li:Well, just check with your better half and let me know if you are coming on Saturday.Li:呃,和你的那位确认一下然后告诉我你周六是否能来。
Neil:I will do, thank you.Neil:我会的。谢谢。
-
学英语环游世界 第440期:交往我的第一个外国朋友
wannagonnagottakindasorta是哪些片语的缩写呀?wanna(=wantto)【美国口语】wanna是"wantto"的缩写,意为「想要」「希望」eg:Wannagrabadrinktonight?今晚喝一杯如何?gonna(=goingto)gonna是"goingto"的缩写,用在将来时中,一般与be动词连用成「begonna」结构,但在口语...
-
美国习惯用语 第84期:to throw to the wolves
美国习惯用语-第84讲:tothrowtothewolvestothrowthebabyoutwiththebathwater今天我们要给大家介绍两个由throw这个字组成的俗语。第一个是tothrowtothewolves。Wolf就是狼,tothrowtothewolves的意思就是:牺牲别人来解救自己。这个俗语可能是来自一个俄罗斯的民间...
-
美国习惯用语 第10期:poker face
「美国习惯用语」第十讲pokerfaceclosetoyourvest玩扑克牌是美国人的一种传统性消遣。最普遍的一种扑克牌游戏就叫poker。中文里的「扑克牌」也许就是从poker这个游戏的名字得来的。玩poker这种游戏需要有技巧,还要碰运气,另外你还得有点冒险精神。由于poker在美...
-
学英语环游世界 第478期:为什么要拥抱改变
现在你可以随时加入Lily的清晨五点俱乐部参与我们的免费晨间打卡或是付费的直播活动,一起运动、冥想、和读书,或透过我们的公众账号iflyclub,回复早起阅读5amClub或收听其他英语有声书,注册得60天免费试读:Day9Chapter4:LettingGoofMediocrityandAllThat’sOrdinar...
相关文章
- The english we speak(BBC教学)第74期: throw the book at用规矩严惩
- The english we speak(BBC教学)第21期:horse face 从本人那里听说的
- The english we speak(BBC教学)第139期:Two phrases about fatherhood 两个与父亲身份有关的短语
- The english we speak(BBC教学)第347期:Echo chamber 回音室效应
- The english we speak(BBC教学)第97期:Take the weight off your feet 休息
- The english we speak(BBC教学)第164期:The boot is on the other foot 情况发生逆转.jpg
- The english we speak(BBC教学)第241期:A barrel of laughs 搞笑
- The english we speak(BBC教学)第20期:what's his face 那个长相的人
- The english we speak(BBC教学)第43期: finger on the pulse把握潮流
- The english we speak(BBC教学)第194期:throw the baby out with the bathwater